CPU Usage of Midi Translator

I am using the trial version of Midi Translator on a Macbook Pro Retina 15-inch mid 2015 running Mojave 10.14.6.

I am checking Activity Monitor, and the CPU usage of Midi Translator is around 2%.

I would like to know if this CPU demand is due the trial version, or if it’s the same after purchasing the license.

If the CPU demand is less after buying the license, could you say me aprox what is the difference in %?

Thanks

I’ve never actually tested the CPU usage and never had reason to be concerned. I have a 2 year old MacBook Pro and two Windows PCs of which the oldest is over 6 years old and have never experienced any performance issues. I’m not sure if 2% would be anything to be concerned about. The paid version will perform at the same level as the trial version. If you turn off the log window, it should perform better as it takes CPU usage to update the log.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Thanks for your reply, Steve.

My question was not clear enough. I’ll try again :slightly_smiling_face:

When the Midi Translator is the foreground application, the CPU usage is higher than 2%. I don’t care about that.

But when the Midi Translator is running in background (there is only the small icon in the status bar), the CPU usage is around 2%.

Midi Translator is only “hearing” actions when is in this background mode. Usually these kind of applications in background mode are always near 0%, so I was thinking that maybe this performance was due the 20min limitation of trial version.

Hi @jordikt , thank you for the observation. I can confirm 2% CPU usage on a MacBook Pro, too (both Trial and Full version). I agree that this is more than it should use in background. I do think that this is GUI related, because our Bome Network tool, which uses the same MIDI engine internally, only uses 0.1% CPU when running (even in foreground). It uses a different GUI framework.

Anyway, these GUI tasks in MT Pro are likely low priority, so chances are that they will yield to high priority processes if needed.

I’ll file this problem internally as a bug and report here when we have found the cause and/or fixed it.

Thanks for reporting!

Hi @FlorianBome , thanks for your reply.

That 0,1% CPU of Bome Network tool sounds very good!! :slightly_smiling_face: I hope you can get same or similar CPU usage for MIDI Translator in background.

I also would add a wish here: It would be nice to have the option to run Midi Translator in background without having any icon in the status bar.

Last comment: I have purchased the license, I’m happy to be new customer of this great software!! :v:

2 posts were split to a new topic: Run MIDI Translator Pro without having an icon

I also have an unusually-high CPU % utilization. Sometimes my mac Pro 5,1 running Mojave starts acting sluggish. When I look at activity monitor, I notice that, not only the % CPU, but also the CPU Time is very high.

Hi, how are you measuring CPU utilization and determining the issue is with MT Pro?
MT Pro utilization will largely depend on the project you are running. The biggest issues are usually due to MIDI loops and/or leaving the log window open. But there may also be some project optimization required, but I would need to see the project file you are running to determine if any issues stand out.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz