Korg nanoKONTROL2 Driver on Windows 10 - Not working - How to fix it

Hi,

My Windows 10 machine occasionally insists on updating my Korg nanoKONTROL2 driver to the Korg Driver instead of the generic MIDI driver. This causes issues with many applications detecting the nanoKONTROL2 MIDI port, especially if you have more than 9 MIDI devices. Many application simply will not see the port.

To fix this go to to device manager and you will see something that looks like this under Sound, video and game controllers:

Notice the name starts with “KORG”

Right click on the entry and then click “update driver”. You will get something like the below:

Click on the second entry to update it manually. You will see this:

Select Let me Pick and you will see something like this:

Select the USB Audio Device and click “Next”

After completion look back at device manager and it will look like this. Notice it will no longer say “KORG”

Now your driver should work with most of your applications (including Bome MIDI Translator Pro)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz
3 Likes

Hi. I’m having issues as well with my korg nanokontrol because it keeps installing the drivers in higher midi slots like 15-18 instead of 0-9 where it needs to be to operate. There are some slots 0-9 that Bome is taking up with its virtual midi ports. I thought that by deactivating them and uninstalling bome would free up some slots in 0-9 so the korg could work properly, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. How can I completely get rid of any trace of bome on my computer to free up the midi slots and have the korg installed in 0-9. I’m hoping if I can do that I can then reinstall bome after getting the korgs sorted out.
thanks!
Matt

Hi,

Windows determines where to put each MIDI port and it is rather random. The Korg Drivers really create more problems then they are worth. I typically de-install the Korg drivers and use the Windows generic driver instead. Once they are assigned, they tend to stay assigned in the position they were last seen. If you really need the Korg Drivers, then you might go to device manager and de-install all of them by deleting them in device manager, de-install MT Pro. Re-install the Korg Drivers by plugging in your Korg and then re-installing MT Pro. Again, I have found no benefit and more downside in using the Korg Drivers which incidentally Windows likes to default to using. So about once a month I follow the procedure outlined in this post but really Korg needs to fix their drivers because the day of only having 10 MIDI devices on a computer has long past.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

Thanks for this. I did figure out a workaround. So I Deactivated the midi ports in bome, uninstalled bome completely. Then I used one of Korg’s Driver Tools “Uninstall usb-midi device” to uninstall the bome virtual drivers to free up slots. Then install the Korg. Then re-install bome. It’s so silly, Korg really needs to update this because like you said, the days of just 10 midi devices is long gone.

1 Like

I created an account just to reply to this post. Thank you very much for this explanation,
I finally have the solution after days of research on the internet.
You are awesome ! Ahah :+1:

Glad to have helped! I think I have to follow this procedure about once a per month because Windows 10 insists on using the Korg drivers which are broken for anyone that has more than 10 MIDI devices (physical or virtual) on their system.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thanks Steve. I’ve had to do this three times since getting a nanopad five months ago. So grateful to you for posting the instructions. You’re a legend!

Thanks @yangrant! I’m glad I could help. As I understand, there could be a more permanent fix, however it would involve manipulating the Windows registry entries and I tend to stay away from that. Knowing this procedure is enough to get me through the slight aggravation. Maybe at sometime in the future, Korg can fix their drivers.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

Just create the account to show my gratitude , thank you so much firsts days of the year with windows issues hahaha, im just glad to people like you exist <3.

God bless you

2 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Using Korg nanoKONTROL2 with Gig Performer